What is the value of a 1966 Barbie doll?
There are two possible answers to your question.
The first answer is the list of dolls actually sold in 1966:
- Bend leg/American Girl blonde or brunette, two different shades, two different hair parts, with Color Magic face, sold only in Japan
- Color Magic black/red hair, two different boxes
- Color Magic blonde/red hair, two different boxes
- Color Magic gift set
- Sew Free Wardrobe gift set
The above dolls were all made in Japan. They are very rare and can sell between $500 and $1,000 if in mint condition.
The second answer is more complicated:
Mattel had the Twist N Turn waist for the Barbie doll patented in 1966, and that design of waist/body was used for dolls sold between 1967 and 1999. In other words, if you bought a doll that was new for sale in the stores in 1999, removed her from her box and undressed her, she would have the 1966 patent date on her backside. Hundreds of millions of dolls out there have the 1966 date on their behinds but that doesn't mean the doll was sold in 1966. A better gauge of the doll's age is to look at the country of manufacture:
- 1959-1972 JAPAN
- 1968-1970, 1989-1990 MEXICO
- 1970-1987 HONG KONG
- 1970-1987 TAIWAN
- 1973-1978 KOREA
- 1978-1988 PHILIPPINES
- 1986 to present CHINA
- 1986 to present MALAYSIA
- 1992 to present INDONESIA.
A nude, played with doll with the patent date of 1966 can sell for 25 cents and up.